West Africa is a vast region of diverse cultures, landscapes and experiences. It’s home to some incredible UNESCO World Heritage Sites that are well worth the trip! Here are six amazing places you should visit in West Africa.
– Ghana is home to the stunning Kakum National Park. This park contains a network of elevated walkways that offer visitors an up close view of some truly spectacular wildlife, including chimpanzees and several species of monkey!
– The capital city of Senegal is Dakar. Located on the coast, this modern African metropolis has plenty for tourists to see and do. Highlights include the lively markets, colonial architecture and Le Grand Marché – one of Africa’s largest indoor shopping malls!
– Burkina Faso is home to the amazing ruins at Timbuktu. This ancient city is rich in history dating back as far as 300 BC. Visitors can walk among its incredible stone mosques and tombs, many of which were built by the ancient African empires that once ruled this region.
– The incredible rock formations at Tassili n’Ajjer National Park make for a truly unique experience in Algeria! This site features thousands of cave paintings and petroglyphs dating back as far as 8000 BC.
– The Mauritanian capital city of Nouakchott is home to the stunning Chinguetti Mosque. This beautiful mosque dates back to 1327 and was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1978!
– West Africa’s largest urban area, Nigeria’s Lagos offers visitors both modern amenities and historical attractions. Highlights include the National Museum, Bar Beach and the Royal Palace!
– A UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1988, Benin City was once home to Nigeria’s imperial capital. Visitors can tour its castle with stone walls up to five metres thick – a marvel of engineering that stands strong even today!